Twice a month, Reddacliff Place in Brisbane is swamped with an army of suitcase carrying people ready to unload their vintage products. Known as the Suitcase Rummage, this market will provide vintage hunters with a platform to fill their wardrobes, discover a bargain and find a beautiful collectible to take home. Anyone can join up to sell their wares so this is a real chance market where anything goes.
There is a myriad of original and vintage artwork to admire as well as thousands upon thousands of vintage clothing options. Clothing is the main focus here at the Suitcase Rummage but there is so much more on offer. Sellers bring along all kinds of homewares and bric-a-brac of varying value so whatever you are seeking you are likely to find.
The Suitcase Rummage was set up with local community spirit, simplicity and beauty all in mind. A place to combine people’s love and passion for all things vintage whilst also supporting new designers and entrepreneurs. By joining forces with the Brisbane City Council who were looking for new and interesting ways to utilise public spaces the first event was born and received rave reviews. Since 2010 Suitcase Rummage has grown into a tour de force with over 150 stalls and thousands of visitors.
Worthy points to note about Suitcase Rummage:
- Seriously – anything goes here. Prices can be haggled to within an inch of existence so give it your best shot.
- If you have a house full of unwanted ornaments or last seasons fashion, bring it along. You can even pay for your new finds by trading what’s in your own suitcase.
- Regular vendors come to the Suitcase Rummage each time, keep an eye on the website for featured sellers for interesting information about what you will find.
- Handmade and upcycled products are always available, if you have an interest in kitschy artwork and new designs then the Suitcase Rummage is definitely the place for you.
- Music and literature fans are in for a treat with a multitude of classic albums and vintage paperbacks.
- If you are interested in selling your own suitcase full of items, you need to register your interest before hand. It costs $10 and considering the scale of selling you can achieve, this is just a small drop in the ocean. Visit the website for further information about this.
Along with the regular twice monthly event at Reddacliff place, Suitcase Rummage also has events in Melbourne and a number of festivals throughout the year. Pop up events at vintage and community festivals are commonplace so check out their social media sites to keep up to date with their next plans. When in the market for preloved, upcycled, handmade and collectibles – the Suitcase Rummage is the new and trendy place to visit.
We strive to keep our listings accurate, but it can happen that things change without our knowledge (rather rarely). You can help us keep this review up to date by reporting any information you think is inaccurate.